Nuremberg’s venue for the Football World Cup 2006 is located right at the heart of Volkspark Dutzendteich. The sports arena looks back on nearly 80 years of history. Completed in 1928, the municipal stadium originally formed the centerpiece of a new, nationally renowned recreation area that boasted exceptional architectural features. During the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics, the stadium area and the surrounding grounds were awarded a gold medal for artistic design.
After the 1. FC Nürnberg had become German football champion for the eighth time in 1961, the city of Nuremberg decided to convert the stadium in order to meet the future needs of the newly formed German Football League. The stadium has been home to the 1. FCN since 1962 and continues to be a popular venue for German Football League matches. In 1987, a complete refurbishment and renovation program got under way, and the stadium was officially reopened in 1991 as the Franken-Stadion.
A further modernization program (2002-2005) turned the stadium into an up-to-date venue fit to host the FIFA World Cup in 2006. With its 44.000 covered seats, the Max-Morlock-Stadion is now ready for all the exciting events to come in the near future and beyond.
In addition to the thorough renovation and modernization of the grandstand, there is a new three-storey VIP building for guests and media representatives. Numerous new catering facilities and kiosks have been built to provide stadium visitors with food and drink.
The new VIP building is a particular highlight. It provides ample space for around 1.000 VIP guests – catering to your every need during sports, culture, and other events. Get further information here.
Eine multimediale Reportage von Studierenden der Hochschule Ansbach gibt weitere Einblicke in die Historie und unterschiedlichen Facetten des Max-Morlock-Stadions.