History of the stadium of Nuremberg

Construction of the stadium from 1926 to 1928

In such a remarkable short time the Stadium was built within two years. This was the result of cooperation between the city government and the employment agency. The arena, which provided room for 37,000 spectators, was regarded as the ‘most beautiful stadium in the world’.

  • Geschichte Tribuene


The Stadium during the National Socialists

From 1933 onwards, the National Socialists used the arena as a venue for their party rallies. The municipal stadium also functioned as a parade ground for the Hitler Youth.
Since 1945 the US-Army used the Stadium for their Sports events.
In 1961 the Stadium passed back into the ownership of the City of Nuremberg.

Refurbishment in 1963

Since 1963, the municipal stadium has undergone several refurbishments to meet the changing requirements of the German Football League. The stadium still functions as the home ground for the 1. FC Nürnberg. In addition, the stadium (occasionally) hosts school sports events and provides a venue for (international) athletics championships.

The expansion of spectator capacity to a total of 56,500 seats and the installation of a floodlight system in the 1960s were followed by a comprehensive refurbishment and renovation program that began in 1987. The cost for this latest conversion of the municipal stadium ran to a total of 68.1 million German marks, and capacity was reduced to approx. 53,000 seats.

Renaming of the Stadium as Franken-Stadion in 1991

In 1991, the official re-opening as Franken-Stadion was celebrated with a lavish public party in the stadium grounds. Between now and the start of the Football World Cup in 2006, the stadium will undergo further modernization and upgrading with new technical installations (costs: 56 million euros) and a new seating capacity of 44,308 in total.

Our New Neighbour since 2001: The »Arena Nürnberg«

The Arena Nürnberg is situated right opposite the Grundig Stadion. Constructed with public funding by a private consortium, this new building was completed in 2001 as a multi-functional venue and ice-rink with a spectator capacity of approx. 10,000. The arena stages pop and rock concerts as well as World Cup boxing matches and other events.

Shortly after completion, the Arena Nürnberg successfully passed its first practical test as one of the three German venues hosting the Ice Hockey World Championship in the spring of 2001.

With the Grundig Stadion and the Arena Nürnberg in such close proximity of each other, the city of Nuremberg hopes once more to reinvigorate its traditional role as an important center for sports.

FIFA World Cup in 2006

A further modernization program (2002 - 2005) turned the stadium into an up-to-date venue fit to host the FIFA world cup in 2006.

Renaming of the Stadium in easyCredit-Stadion in 2006

The stadium of Nuremberg was renamed in easyCredit-Stadion in 2006.
Nuremberg is one of the 12 German venues of the Football World Cup.

Renaming of the Stadium in Grundig Stadion in 2013

Since february of 2013 the stadium was named »Grundig Stadion«.

Ongoing operation as Max-Morlock-Stadion

Since 01.07.2015 the city of Nuremberg is in charge for the ongoing operation of the Stadion Nürnberg Betriebs-GmbH. The city holds a hundred percent of the GmbH. In may 2017 the Consorsbank acquired the naming rights of the stadium and enabled to change the name to “Max_morlock-Stadion”. A name which was desired by the fans for a long time.